Oral hazards and accidents are a common cause of dental damage and injuries. Exercise effective accident prevention planning procedures to ensure your mouth is well prepared for all risks, including those seen and unseen. Common risks include the following:
– Plaque is a well-known oral health hazard. Typically, bacteria arises when you do not clean your mouth effectively. Always remember to brush twice-daily and floss once daily to prevent plaque buildup.
– Contact sports can seriously injure your teeth if you are not protected against high-risk activities designed to cause blunt trauma to your head, face, neck, and jawline areas. Protect your mouth with suitable safety equipment and safety gear designed to cushion the impact your teeth and gums may sustain.
– Avoid chewing on products that are not meant to be chewed on. This includes pens, pen caps, and your fingernails.
– Exercise caution with overly tough or chewy foods that are difficult to bite into. This includes steaks, apples, hard candies, and ice.
– If you have a lip or tongue ring, be aware that they can cause bleeding, infections, tooth chipping, and lacerations to your tongue and lips. Furthermore, mouth jewelry is a known choking hazard.
To prevent dental damage due to tooth hazards, make sure you are following the proper treatment techniques for a healthy smile that can last a lifetime. If you would like Dr. Michael Tobola and our team at Family and Cosmetic Dentistry to bring you in for an oral exam or professional cleaning, please contact our dentist office in Auburn Hills, Michigan, by calling us at 248-852-8766. We would be glad to take care of any oral health care needs you may have.